Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Unit 10: Useful Providers

I found the listing of service providers at the link http://www.openarchives.org/Register/Browse Sites .

First, Humboldt University of Berlin had 8 different contributing sources. I feel that this was a good source overall, as it had articles which related to my digital collection. Based on the fact that this source was not directly a sports source I think they did a good job of at least having relevant collections. I enjoyed the relative ease and simplicity of using their search repository.

Secondly, the Internet Archive OAI Repository is a fantastic collection utilizing at least 11 major contributors including the “Library of Congress” to “National Science Foundation” just to name a few.I like the setup of the search page which is very simple with access to over 150 billion pages of information. I would have to say this was one of my favorite websites and I have bookmarked it as its layout is simple but very concise and clear.

Thirdly, I found Diva.org and it was a quick and easy search , however, the results and meta-data were not very relevant to the search. It was difficult to find information regarding Arabian soccer championships on this website, so although easy to use, it was lacking the detailed meta-information desired.

Even though this website indexed information from a number of sources, the sources, were lacking relevance.

No comments:

Post a Comment