Wednesday, December 8, 2010

IRLS 675

Before I started this course I have a limited knowledge and experience about Linux and using the command line interface. After starting this semester, I have definitely increased my understanding of using both the GUI and CLI using the VM ware software.
With the building of my repositories, and creating them through the different software applications such as Drupal, Eprints, Dspace, Omeka and the associated plugins such as Harvester, and Jhove, they have been very valuable in giving me an overview of how the different applications are able to organize data for the data collections.

In addition, this process of building through using different software has also given me insight into how a manager would have to look at the budget allocated for their organization, and how to choose the best software applications to implement their collection and the different criteria needed to make the proper assessments.

I found the process re-emphasizing the importance of how to implement a controlled vocabulary and using the proper taxonomy when creating and organizing the repositories.

This course has given me a chance to review and determine the strengths and weaknesses of the different software applications and what would be the best organizational environment for the implementation of the repository software based on the previously mentioned criteria, of budget, features, ease of installation, ability to handle large data collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment